April 17, 2009

EOC Week Two

Our whole system of justice is corrupt. Prime example is the OJ trials. Yah, he is serving time now but not from the OJ trials back in 1990’s. Do you know how much he got out of that? $33.5 million, what kind of a message is that going to send? Was it fair? Was justice severed under the law? When I say justice I mean what we are led to believe as it always being true, just and fair for everyone.

Ever heard of Charlie Crews? I am not talking about the fictional guy off of Life the TV series. I am talking about the real Crews, and yes Life the TV series is based off of his story. Charlie Crews was a former LA police officer who was convicted, and served 12 years in prison for crimes he did not commit. He was exonerated of all charges, and surprising enough went back to work in the police force.

Laws are made to protect us right? Well, in 1976 Washington, D.C. put in to affect one of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. Since then, Washington, D.C.’s murder rate has risen 134%. Sure real safe if that was there goal by putting in gun laws. Get this Switzerland requires all of it males over the age of 20 to own an assault rifle. A study done by David Kopel of the seven countries, Switzerland is found to be one of the safest countries.

No I do not want to move to Switzerland, and no I do not own a gun that was the point of the previous paragraph. I will end with two quotes by great men “They that give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin “Heaven is above yet; there sits a judge that no king can corrupt.” -Shakespeare

3 comments:

  1. Wow where to start; I guess I might as well start with the more popular story. Ok, the O.J. trials ended with the fact of he did commit the crimes; however, due to a good lawyer and screwing his way around the laws he managed to say how his liberties and his rights are now going on trail, and we cannot do that. No matter what a man does as long as he is a citizen of this country he is allowed those rights. Now my sources have informed me that not too long ago he was placed back on trail for an unrelated matter. During this case he was found guilty, and if it had been anyone else the sentence would have been minimal. But for O.J. his past caught up to him and he was then given a ridiculous max sentence and won’t be out anytime soon.
    I understand you want to rant and scream about these holes in the justice system, but they have to be there; nothing is perfect. If you take into consideration that the constitution was established more than two hundred years ago, then you should see how amazing that is. Other countries actually model their governments after our own. For our many different cultures, different ways of life, and people we function and these cases your mentioning are nanoscopic. There are so many millions of people and you’re going to find the smallest percentile of failure when it comes to the laws. It’s comical how you would use one of the creators of this country as a quote for your rant against it. Whether you believe this or not, I will defend the four-fathers, and that which they created to survive for hundreds of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that laws are meant to protect and the reason i mainly think that the reason americans turn so badly against gun laws whether to restrict or allow is because we are americans and we like to stretch our right to talk and come up with any reason to argue just for argueing. Americans really do not like change. We are a sue happy country some people really do not care what happens to others. The thing about Switzerland is the gun tolerance there is part of their culture just like in Amsterdam and their young drinking age and its americans who cause the most troubles in other countries.

    You made your point clear at the top of the page how our system is corrupt but I lose you through out the rest of the paper of your reasons why it is corrupted. I think it is becuase you have to many examples and your examples aren't proving your point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I am a believer! most parts of the law is there to protect a certain age. certain group of people. even, certain kind of people. Even laws just for woman. Even laws for just for men. Of course they cater to a certain people. I guess its all a matter of where you are at and does the law affect you? I can see that with the trials that you stated, the laws are corrupt. It not always provide the truth on the subject matter but rather provide LEVERAGE to any parties involved depending on the societies inscentive of the law, the end effect. It provides a starting point for defendant and plantif. A baseline on which we live by. For the most part they are not always corrupt. But I have to agree that some times its just plain wrong. I am one of those who think that laws are made to be broken.

    ReplyDelete